Oculus Quest 2 is a popular stand-alone headset across the globe and gaming enthusiasts loved the VR headsets. However, you can connect it to your gaming PC to get an exclusive VR experience. If you are looking for a step-by-step guide to connect the two devices then you’re at the correct place. The VR headset can work with wired or wireless connections and on top of that, you will get full access to steam VR and a large number of PC VR games.
There are few things that you will need to play your PC VR games with your oculus quest. Such as an oculus quest, VR capable PC, a USB cable with a USB C connector for wired connection, a 5 GHz 802.11 AC/ Wi-Fi 5 router connected to your VR PC via Ethernet, the oculus quest software for Windows, and one PC VR game.
You should also keep in mind the length of your USB cable. If you are planning for stationary standing or seated gameplay then a shorter cable will do the work. But in case you want a larger play area then it will require a long USB cable.
Prepare your play space boundary
Before you connect the VR headset to your gaming PC you will have to plan your gameplay boundary. You can set up your play space boundary in quest in its standalone mode. Whenever your request will detect a space that is not stored in your boundary information it will ask to create a new one.
Quest 2 set up a wired connection
- If you are using your quest with your PC for the first time then you will have to do some initial setup work. Once you’re done with the initial setup, download the Oculus software for Windows PC.
- After downloading the software, launch the installer and follow the on-screen steps. This application will need 5 GB of data.
- Post-installation, the software will ask you to create your account or to login into the existing Oculus account. Here you should note that the quest 2 users will have to link their Facebook account.
- And once you have logged in to your oculus application, now you can get your quest set up for PC VR.
- Firstly you will have to select the devices from the left-hand sidebar. Then click on add headset option.
- Now you have to select your model of the headset.
- You also have to select the link cable option.
- After that, you will have to plug in one end of your cable into the PC and the other end to your quest. If you are using a USB 3 cable then make sure that your PC supports USB 3 port.
- Just in case you are using a USB 2 connection then the software will send a warning. However, that’s not the point to worry about because you can play games using a USB 2 cable with compressed images.
- Once the setup is completed you will get the setup complete screen. Once you get that screen, close that software and put on your connected headset.
- Once you put on your headset you will be asked whether you want to enable the oculus link. After saying yes you will be moved to the PC oculus environment.
- That’s it now you are ready to play games on your Oculus Quest headset.
Native Oculus games
You can play your native Oculus PC games with your Quest as simple as you can play your native Quest games. Once you have reached your PC Oculus virtual space, you will get access to your whole library. You can select any game that you want to play.
Steam VR and other VR games on Quest 2
If you want to play games other than those available in the official Oculus library, then there is good news for you. According to the official forum, any game that is compatible with the old Oculus rift is also available for Quest and for that, you will need the oculus link.
Before running your steam VR game with your Quest you will have to make sure that you have Steam VR installed on your system. To download steam VR you will have to search the steam storefront and install it on your PC. After that, there are many ways to launch your steam VR game to play with your quest. But all of those methods will require the Oculus software to be open.
Set up a wireless connection
- To set up your Quest wirelessly with your PC you will have to use the Oculus Airlink. The wireless connection process is similar to the cable-based Oculus link method. This means you will not have to worry about the length of the cable with your PC VR games and you can move freely.
- Currently, the air link feature is under the testing phase. To access the beta version you need to head to the settings option and then find beta in the Oculus PC software. Also, you have to enable the feature in your Quest headset settings while it’s in stand-alone mode. You will find this feature under the experimental features option.
- Once this feature is enabled on both devices you will have to ensure that your PC and your quest are working on the same Wi-Fi network. To get the best results you can connect your PC with your router using Ethernet. The Quest has to be connected to the router with a 5Ghz frequency band using 802.11ac Wi-Fi or it should be connected with Wi-Fi 6.
- Once everything is done select the quick settings within your Quest and head on the Air link option. After that, you will be able to see the list of air link enabled PC on that network. Once you have selected your PC you will be moved to the oculus PC environment. And from now onwards you will have to follow exactly the same steps as in the wired connection to play games with your quest wirelessly.