King of Seas has had a rocky old ride. Having been first announced back in July of 2020, fans have been holding out for the chance to take in a new golden age of pirating. But on the back of an underwhelming preview period at the end of the year, and then the missing of a February 2021 launch, it’s only been since Team17 hopped aboard the good ship has it started to sail in the right direction. Only time will tell if this crew have been able to navigate the choppy waters safely.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC, King of Seas looks to go up against the likes of Sea of Thieves as the go-to seafaring adventure as the development team at 3DClouds and Team17 deliver a deadly procedurally generated world.
Priced at £19.99 with a free trial available, King of Seas pushes you onto the deck of a narrative that focuses on the most ferocious plot. It is here where you will find yourself embarking on an epic adventure, one that will take you through a wonderfully generated world filled with battles, treasures and lost islands.
There’s immediately much to love about what is being included in King of Seas, and honestly, the opportunity to showcase the pirate life is one that many a gamer is still holding out for. With a dynamic world that reacts to your every move, a navigation system complete with atmospheric effects, and tons of customisation and combat options, we’re crossing our fingers and slowly walking the length of the plank in hope that this delivers.
Main and secondary mechanics and features include:
MAIN MECHANICS –
- Story: A series of quests guide you on your journey and uncover the intriguing characters of the King of Seas world who will lead you to the next path of your epic adventure.
- Procedural Generation: Dive into a lush, procedurally generated world that constantly refreshes the exploration mechanics within each new game.
- Dynamic World: The world reacts to your every action, naval routes change and with each conquered settlement the difficulty adapts to constantly give you a more challenging time.
- Map: A thick fog will ensure travelling towards objectives is not plain sailing, after all wouldn’t you want to lose the joys of exploration !?
- Navigation system: Atmospheric effects influence gameplay. Sail during a storm at your own risk, escape the enemies and always remember to carefully watch the wind direction to stay in control during battles. The strategy starts here.
- Ship customization: Five types of highly customizable ships through an equipment and skill system, just as in any true role-playing game!
- Combat system: Not only cannon shots and nautical strategy but also speed and spectacle, thanks to a set of more than 20 skills to choose from and three branches of talents to suit any playstyle.
SECONDARY MECHANICS –
- Special Missions: Extra rewards await you upon completion of these secondary missions, each settlement you conquer will be the source of new adventures!
- Treasure hunt: Secret maps are hidden in the abyssal depths, find them and obtain directions to submerged treasures!
- Trading: Each settlement produces specific products with their own market value. Buy them at the lowest price possible and sell them to other settlements where they are in demand. Buy low, sell high, this is the basis of trade!
- Fishing: Find as many as 30 varieties of fish living below the ocean surface. Fish them all but be careful to observe the time of day and weather conditions…
- Ranking: Every battle won will drive up the bounty on your head, compare it with the most famous pirates of history. Be the King of Seas!
- Multiple difficulties: The difficulty level adds a substantial multiplier to the bounty obtained in the game. How much will you be able to generate in hardcore mode?
Our full review of King of Seas on Xbox One is in the works and will be able to provide further insight into how this plays out. Will it be the Sea of Thieves foe that is able to horde all the treasure? Or does it sink to the bottom of the ocean without trace?
King of Seas is an Action Role playing game set in a deadly procedurally generated pirate world. In a ferocious plot you will fight to regain what has been taken away and embark on an epic adventure in a fantastic world, filled with battles, lost islands and treasures. A universe full of amazing characters and breathtaking missions will keep you anchored as you strive to become the king of all pirates.